Wool is a wonderful fiber and will keep you warm and dry. It’s resilient, long wearing and depending on the weave and weight, it is a natural insulator that keeps you comfortable year round. But because wool has scales, you will need to take care to avoid contact that will cause friction resulting in pilling.
While Ziker Cleaners can try removing the offending ‘pills’, in the long term it’s best if you avoid the following while wearing wool:
- Cinched belts that cause friction at the waist.
- Shoulder bags can cause pilling.
- Crossing your legs so they scrape the underside of a desk or table.
- Garments that fit poorly that results in excessive rubbing when you walk or swing your arms.
Other precautions you can take:
- When traveling, loosely roll or fold wool garments with tissue paper to keep the fabric’s shape and avoid wrinkles.
- To freshen a wrinkled garment, hang it in a steamy bathroom. A warm iron on the wool or steam setting can also be used.
- Empty pockets after every wearing to keep them from bulging or sagging.
- Dryclean wool garments to keep in top shape.